Following a tree


I have just joined Lucy over at Loose and leafy and have agreed to follow the life of a tree for a year, if you are interested in this too, please contact her to join in.

 I think trees are underated they are all round us but don't get the glory they deserve. When I came to think about it trees have played different roles in the background throughout all my life.What are you earliest memories of trees?

 I used to live in a street which had an avenue of horse chesnut trees. The sticky buds turning into the lovely candlelabra blossom and then the conkers which were very popular! We also had a cherry tree in the garden and when it had to be cut down, as it was rotten, I was so upset.

 My Dad was in the Services and I spent most of my childhood in Germany when I was 11, I went to boarding school in Kent which I loved. Our home was a huge manor house in the Kent countryside (can you imagine running a house with 86 girls!) and at the bottom of the garden we had a small beech and rhododendron wood where we made secret dens and played imaginary games.

When we moved to Dorset we lived in a pretty wooded valley and some of my favourite wedding photos are taken under the trees.

I love walking through woods and although it may not be a weekly excursion, and we have had many happy outings with the children and dogs over the years.


We have now lived in our current house for 20 years and the only thing in the back garden when we arrived was a large conifer. I am afraid to say that this came out and was replaced with five trees, and it has been a delight to watch them grow over this period of time.

My dilemma was which tree to watch, my first choice was my favourite tree in the garden. One of my best friends died at the age of 32, and we decided to plant a tree in our garden to remember her by, as she lived far away. It was a magnolia and it is such a beautiful tree and is a such a fitting and constant reminder of her.



However I do look at this tree all the time, so I have decided on this tree below instead.


It is a willow tree which lies beside the River Jordan that flows into the sea. Quite by chance last weekend I took a photo of it as we walked down to the beach and then I read Lucy's article, and almost felt it had chosen me! It was a favourite stopping point when the children were younger for them to climb on, so watch out for future reports on this beautiful tree.

Comments

  1. Sounds like some wonderful memories

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting post! I remember our primary school having a thing in the 1970's about planting trees - "Plant a tree - in '73." You had to buy a tree to raise money for the school. The magnolia looks pretty and what a befitting tribute to your friend. I like the tree that you've chosen or that has chosen you and look forward to seeing more photos of it as the seasons change!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea!!
    I love trees, and on my morning walk would often photograph one in particular in the park I walk in every morning. When I got back from holidays earlier this year I found it had been chopped down. It made me so cross, as i still dont know why it was

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a lovely post - so much packed in.

    The tree is extraordinary. Does it really grow?! It will be fascinating to watch how it does (what happens!) through the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like there are young branches growing out of the side of it so hopefully they will grow. I will have to have a closer look next time I go pass!
      Sarah

      Delete
  5. love trees but don't know much about them....!your pics are great i could go for a walk there any time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely! I shall follow your blog with interest - I too am following a tree on my blog thanks to Lucy. It's great to see photos from Dorset as that's where I lived for most of my adult life. I used to teach at St Andrew's School in Preston, and in the year 2000 I put on a school play to raise some funds, then with the money raised, we planted a Millenium Orchard in the school grounds. Twenty-one trees for the twenty-first century! I don't know if they're still there, but maybe you might know someone at the school who would know? Twelve years on they should be a good size now. Thanks for such lovely photos - what an adorable little girl you were!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a lovely idea and you have some great memories associated with trees. I think planting a tree in memory of someone works really well. And your chosen willow is such a stunning tree it must be a haven for all kins of wildlife from little beasties up to much bigger ones. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, what a lovely idea .. I shall watch with interest! We too lived in Germany with the Forces .. we spent five years there, had a fabulous time! You have a beautiful garden (even though you have a pond! wink wink) Jules x

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I went to school in the 70's there was a lodge where services children lived. I love trees a garden is not complete without a tree of some sort.
    Like me then, you too are dangerous with a paint brush...lol I love to paint anything, find it relaxing.
    Carolx Katherines Dream

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are the best thing about blogging so please join in and brighten my day!